Istanbul, a city that straddles two continents, offers a rich blend of history, culture, and modern living. If you’re planning to move to this vibrant metropolis, one of the key steps you’ll need to take is registering your utilities. From water and electricity to internet and natural gas, setting up your essential services is a crucial part of settling into your new home. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of registering utilities in Istanbul, ensuring a smooth transition to life in this captivating city.
Registering for water service in Istanbul is a straightforward process. You’ll need to visit your local water company’s office, often named “İSKİ” (Istanbul Su ve Kanalizasyon İdaresi) and provide the following documents:
- A copy of your ID or passport
- Your residence permit or rental contract
- A utility service request form (available at the İSKİ office)
- Proof of your Turkish Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- An application fee
Once your documents are processed, you’ll receive a water meter and account information. Remember to pay your water bills on time to avoid any interruptions in service.
Electricity in Istanbul is provided by the state-owned company, CK Enerji Boğaziçi (Türkiye Elektrik İletim A.Ş.). To register for electricity, follow these steps:
- Visit your local CK Enerji Boğaziçi Elektrik office.
- Provide a copy of your ID or passport.
- Submit your residence permit or rental contract.
- Fill out an application form (available at the CK Enerji Boğaziçi Elektrik office).
- Pay the required deposit.
Once your application is approved, you’ll receive your electricity meter and account information. Be sure to pay your electricity bills regularly to maintain uninterrupted service.
If your new home in Istanbul uses natural gas for heating, cooking, or hot water, you’ll need to register for this service with İGDAŞ (Istanbul Gaz Dağıtım Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.). Here’s what you should do:
- Visit the nearest İGDAŞ office.
- Present a copy of your ID or passport.
- Provide your residence permit or rental contract.
- Fill out an application form.
- Pay the required deposit.
After the registration process, İGDAŞ will install a natural gas meter in your home, and you’ll receive your account details. Don’t forget to pay your natural gas bills promptly to ensure a continuous supply.
Internet and Cable TV
For internet and cable TV services, you have various providers to choose from in Istanbul, such as Türk Telekom, Turkcell Superonline, and Vodafone. To register for these services:
- Visit the nearest branch or website of your chosen provider.
- Choose a suitable package and plan.
- Provide your ID or passport and residence permit or rental contract.
- Complete the application process and pay any installation or activation fees.
Internet and cable TV services in Istanbul are typically easy to set up, and the provider will send a technician to install the necessary equipment at your residence.